Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread



Lately, I'm on a quick bread kick.  Last week I posted my gluten-free take on my mom's world-famous pumpkin bread, and now I'm back with zucchini! Somehow it makes you feel a little healthier eating massive amounts of baked goods if they're filled with vegetables, right?


Just like pumpkin bread, this is definitely not a savory loaf.  It's sweet, light and fluffy - but definitely less intense than the pumpkin.  My husband can't handle the sweet, spicy intensity of my pumpkin bread but he'll gobble this zucchini loaf right up! Unlike pumpkin bread, however, this loaf is made with fresh zucchini (see, healthy!?) and it's SUPER easy to make.  I'm already planning on bringing it to a few Christmas get-togethers (a sort of healthy cookie alternative?), and it's definitely a crowd-pleaser.


As I mentioned in my last post, this Holiday Season has induced a wave of baking-based nostalgia in me, and I'm currently in the process of trying to reproduce as many family recipes as possible in a way that I can actually eat!  This zucchini bread recipe was originally given to my mother by my aunt on my dad's side.  I'm not sure where she got it from (or if she made it up) but it's super simple, super flavorful, and so easily made gluten-free.


This loaf keeps really well in the fridge for several days, but tastes even better hot, so I love to toast or microwave a slice for a few seconds and eat it plain for breakfast.


So, if you love zucchini and you love bread, grab some yummy seasonal veggies and get baking!

Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (tightly packed) fresh, grated zucchini (1 to 2 medium-sized zucchini)
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend (with xanthan gum)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease a 8.5-inch metal loaf pan and set aside.
  2. Beat the eggs until frothy.
  3. Add the sugar, vanilla and oil, and beat again until thick and lemon-colored.
  4. Stir in the zucchini
  5. In a small bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  6. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until well incorporated. 
  7. Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  8. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.  Serve immediately or wrap and store in the fridge to avoid drying out. 



Comments